Hyson Tea, which originated from Anhui Province of China, is also known as Chinese Green Tea or Lucky Dragon Tea. The word ‘Hyson’ means ‘flourishing spring’ in Cantonese and many people believe the tea’s Cantonese meaning to be the reason for its naming. While there are people who believe that the tea got its name from Phillip Hyson, an English tea merchant.
How Hyson green is made?
Hyson tea is harvested before rainy season. It is made from mature as well as young leaves. However, the tea made from younger leaves is believed to be of high quality.
In general, hyson tea has twisted appearance as it is made by thinly rolling the leaves. On the basis of appearance, the young hyson is further divided into four types
- Chun Mee
- Foong Mee
- Saw Mee
Regardless the shape, the leaves unfurl and release the flavonoids when brewed.
Note: Hyson tea is not available in powdered form or in tea bags.
How is Hyson different from other tea?
- Method of production – Traditional and unfermented
- Structure of leaves – Unbroken and twisted
- Color of tea – Faint yellowish-brown or golden (similar to oolong tea)
- Taste – Pungent
How to prepare Hyson tea?
What will you need?
- A boiling pot
- 1 cup (6-8 oz.)of water
- 1 teaspoon of hyson tea
Steps to make Hyson Green tea
- Boil a cup of water and leave it for few minutes to get the water temperature around 80oC.
- Put a teaspoon of hyson tea in a cup.
- Pour the warm water into the cup and wait for the tea to brew for about 3 minutes. Brewing for a longer time gives your tea a bitter taste.
- Your tea is ready to energize you once you notice that your drink has turned golden. Warm hyson tea tastes good without adding milk or sugar. But if you want to have it cold, add few drops of lemon juice and feel the refreshment.
Benefits of Hyson green tea
Similar to health benefits from other green teas, hyson tea also offers several health and beauty benefits.
- The anti-oxidants found in green tea maintain blood pressure, reduces bad cholesterols and prevents cardiovascular diseases. 
- Drinking hyson green tea regularly will help to accelerate your metabolism through catechin content. Quicker metabolism helps to burn more fat when exercising. 
- Tea polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) found in hyson helps fight against bacterial infections and combat allergies. 
- Caffeine along with L-theanine work synergistically to improve brain functions, mood and concentration ability. 
- Polyphenols being a potent antioxidants remove free radicals that are responsible for cancer due to oxidative stress. They also help delay signs of aging by rejuvenating the dying skin cells. [5, 6]
Side effects of Hyson green tea
- Drinking any kind of green tea would be a bad option if you are having an upset stomach. Also, drinking green tea in an empty stomach can encourage stomach disorders. 
- If you are under any type of medication, consult your doctor before consuming green teas. They can react and adversely affect your health. 
- Although hyson tea does not have as strong caffeine as coffee, drinking it during pregnancy would not be safe.