Around 2.5 million metric tons of dehydrated tea is manufactured annually around the world. Out of this just 20% is made with an approach to prevent the oxidation of polyphenols - micronutrients in green leaves, which is green tea.
A cup of green tea contains 20-45% of these polyphenols. The production quantity may be less but this tea contains more than 200 bio-active compounds in abundance.
Green Tea Ingredients Fact Sheet
Quantity: 1 Mug [8 fl oz]
Caffeine: 24 - 45 mg
|Daily Value %|
|Protein||0.47 g||51000 mg||0.92 %|
|Sugar||0 g||30000 mg||0 %|
|Sodium||7 mg||2300 mg||0.3 %|
|Potassium||63 mg||4700 mg||1.34 %|
|Calcium||7 mg||1000 mg||0.7 %|
|Magnesium||4 mg||350 mg||1.14 %|
|Phosphorus||4.7 mg||1000 mg||0.47 %|
|Iron||0.45 mg||15 mg||3 %|
|Copper||0.02 mg||1.5 mg||1.33 %|
|Manganese||0.72 mg||5 mg||14.4 %|
|Vitamin B2||0.11 mg||1.3 mg||8.46 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.02 mg||15 mg||0.13 %|
|Vitamin C||14 mg||75 mg||18.67 %|
|Folate||0.03 mg||0.4 mg||7.5 %|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g||30000 mg||0|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||250 mg||0|
|Total Fat||0 mg||61000 mg||0|
|Total Carbohydrate||0.47 g||300000 mg||0|
Amount of Polyphenols found in a mug of green tea
|Amount||2 - 3%||4 - 6%||5 -9.5%|
Nourishing Chemical Compounds in Green Tea
Green Tea is also famous globally as a drink to lose weight since it holds fewer calories, and offers several health benefits.
- Green tea has caffeine which burns calorie.
- A cup of green tea has approximately 25 - 45 mg caffeine.
- The total quantity of caffeine included in green tea is less than the amount found in coffee i.e. 200 mg per cup.
- It can boost up fat burning process by making the fat cells are made available for use as energy by cells.
- Caffeine also helps to improve brain function including memory, mood and more.
One of the researches done by Lausanne University in Switzerland experimenting on 31 healthy young men and women were given green tea to drink for three days which included calcium, catechins and caffeine. The research discovered that energy augmented by 4.6% among the partakers.
- Green tea is rich in the flavonoid (a collection of polyphenols) is referred as catechins.
- The polyphenols found in Green tea wipe out the free radicals and
- It helps you get rid of different skin problems such as dark spots, aging, wrinkles, and also acts as antioxidant. One of the studies showed that green have 10 times the quantity of antioxidants present than in vegetables and fruits.
The types of Catechins and its percentage found in green tea are
- Epigallocatechin 3 gallate (EGCG): 59%
- According to one of the studies, Epigallocatechin Gallate (ECGC) is a distinct antioxidant, which increases metabolism by more or less 4%, and boost fat burning procedure up to 17%. Research also shows that EGCG acts as medicinal drink to cure different cancers.
- Epicatechin (EC): 6.4%
- Epigallocatechin (EGC): 19%
- Epicatechin 3 gallate (ECG): 13.6%
Research tells that this compound helps in reducing the risks of lung prostate, bladder, ovarian, stomach, skin and mainly esophageal cancer. Green tea bags had the more concentration of catechins with around 5 to 9.5%.
The fluorine found in green tea is around 0.3 to 0.4 milligrams which helps to reduce cavity problems. According to Christine Wu, professor of Periodontics at the University of Illinois, studies in Japan exposed cavity-fighting advantages of green tea.
Green Tea has a lot of vitamins
- Vitamin C which helps in the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body.
- Vitamin B2 which helps you keep up healthy skin
- Vitamin K assists in the blood clot after wound or tissue break
- Vitamin A contain in green tea helps in the safeguarding from eye problems such as night vision
- Folic acid is a forms of water-soluble B vitamin which aids in red blood cells formation. It also helps you stay away from colon cancer, Kidney disease, Alzheimer's disease and several other diseases. Green tea chiefly types like Matcha and Sencha has five times extra folic acid than the sum found in spinach or parsley.
The ingredients and chemical compounds found in green tea have a lot of benefits. However, the element like - caffeine found in green tea may result in irritability, faintness, heart palpitations, sleeplessness, and more in a number of people. So, be wary before thinking to drink the tea.